I really did not trust the bar gauge, and now I have real numbers...
In addition, to fixing the car, Ron also adjusted the suspension more to my liking. (The Tropica/Zebra does have adjustable shocks...) and he also replaced the cord reel that had been causing me problems, since I don't think the cord reel manufacturer even intended this cord reel to be used to pull a 15 Amp load in salty water conditions with constant road grime interferring with the internal contacts so what he did is make a 110 volt socket and cup so that the door still has the charging function, but the cord is stored in the trunk.
Oh, about the cord... We also went to a 12 gauge hospital grade cord and re-used the fancy GFI plug that the cord reel used.
And lastly, Ron also firmly attached the lower edge of the rear bumper to the car, so the reverse light did not aim too high and wiggle...
When I got there, I stayed at Don Bright's House, and then went to the headquarters of Zebra Motors and saw a sight to make my heart sing...
Then Nathan and Jeff went to work on my poor car. First they took the nose panel off, to access the bolts to remove the nose. They do this, so they can then jack the car up, rest it onto a special rolling rack(thing-a-ma-bob) and "roll out the batteries!".
Jeff is the one in the Yellow shirt, and Nathan is the one not wearing cowboy boots. :)
After pulling out the batteries, they fixed the watering system and filled the batteries with 3.5 gallons of water, with their fancy watering system which I don't have (but will soon) and then put the batteries back in. After that, we plugged in the car and... (Quiet Noise here) it looks like the charger is not working, so we play with that for a while, and then finally they take a working charger off one of their cars, and swap it out with me! (I love these guys!) We then lined up the 5 working cars and took some photos... Then I loaded the car up and drove back to San Diego.
Anyway, since I had the hood open, it was time to take care of some of my dislikes about the car. So, out came the schematics and out came the multi-meter, and in when Scott.
I re-wired the trunk release, so that the trunk can only be opened when the car is on. And since the car can only be on when the key is turned to the "on" position that means the trunk is now "secure." Well, as secure as it can be. But, I did find out that with the trunk set up this way, that when the car is charging, I cannot open the trunk, I have to un-plug the car to stop the charger, so I can then turn on the car, to open the trunk. A hassle but worth the security.
Since, I was wiring things into the accesory (or on when the key is turned) output, I also connect the radio, to it as well (on it's own circuit and fuse mind you). So, I can now listen to the radio, and when I arrive at my destination, just turn off the car, and the radio goes off!.
I ran a 6 fuse fuseblock and have used 2 of them, so if I need to have more things powered by the accessory voltage I can. No I did not take any pictures of this work, but it really wasn't very interesting.
I've now got over 5,000 miles on my new batteries, had a few minor problems, and one major issue. So I'll re-cap.
But, apart from those times, I've been driving the car and having fun (when it doesn't rain...)
PS> Note to self: When replacing motors, always make sure to tighten the nuts on the motors. If (hypothetically) A2 gets a little loose, you can do a great spark show!